Entry Level Payroll Operations Specialist
Entry Level Payroll Operations Specialist
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students - helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Purpose of Position:
Process payroll through identified policies and procedures for the Shared Services Center customers, ensuring timely and accurate payment and required withholding is made. The entry level payroll specialist must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment to help identify process improvements and efficiencies in Payroll Operations. This includes contributing, planning, organizing, and processing to ensure all payroll support functions are administered timely and accurately while all audit requirements are met. Ability to work cross-functionally within the department. Remain informed on all payroll projects, Payroll Service Level Agreement, and updates as directed by the Payroll Manager, IRS, and Department of Accounts Payroll Bulletins.
- Knowledge of Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit, and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of fiscal operations management and accounting.
- Knowledge of payroll best practices including compliance, federal, and state regulations.
- Retrieving and manipulating data via online access in database files thru various software applications.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for relationship building with our customers.
- Intermediate skills in using personal computer applications and Microsoft Office products, including proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent mathematical aptitude and numerical skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be independently accountable for meeting deadlines timely and accurately.
- Ability to organize and manage workflow to ensure payroll tasks are processed accurately and timely.
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential information.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team member.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Willingness and ability to be flexible and to grow professionally as the position changes.
- Practices ethical behavior and demonstrates and supports the SSC values and mission.
- Remains optimistic and supportive of established procedures while looking for process improvements and efficiencies.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields: Payroll, Human Resources, Finance, or Accounting.
- Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Office, specifically with Excel.
- Fundamental experience with Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements.
- Experience or knowledge of multi-state taxation.
- Experience in state government or higher education.
- Experience with healthcare, retirement, or other benefit reconciliations.
- Experience with Peoplesoft/Oracle systems.
- Certifications: Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
To view the full job posting and apply, go to: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/65836
Hybrid telework and sign-on bonus available
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx , or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EOE employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.