Associate Director of Alumni Communications
Associate Director of Alumni Communications
The University of New Haven, founded on the Yale campus in 1920, is a private, coeducational university that has been recognized by The Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report for academic excellence. Located between New York City and Boston in the shoreline city of West Haven, the University is a diverse and vibrant community of nearly 7,000 students from across the globe.
Within the University of New Haven’s colleges and schools, students immerse themselves in a transformative, career-focused education across engineering, health sciences and healthcare, business, law enforcement and public service, the liberal arts and sciences, and the fine arts.
More than 100 academic programs are offered, all grounded in a longstanding commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary, project-based learning. The University of New Haven ranks among the top universities in the Northeast and boasts nationally ranked programs in a number of majors across business, criminal justice, health sciences, engineering, cybersecurity, forensic science, and the liberal arts and sciences.
Here, the experience of learning is both personal and pragmatic, guided by a distinguished faculty who care deeply about individual student success. As leaders in their fields, faculty members provide the inspiration and recognition needed for students to fulfill their potential and succeed at whatever they choose to do.
Under the leadership of President Steven H. Kaplan, who was named the sixth president in 2004, the University has experienced significant growth — both in enrollment and in the expansion of the University’s West Haven campus. Full-time undergraduate enrollment has more than doubled, and first-year applications have nearly quadrupled.
Over the last decade, the University has completed more than $300 million in major capital projects while launching 26 new academic programs. The University has also added campuses in Tuscany, Italy, and Orange, Conn.
For more background on the University of New Haven please visit: www.newhaven.edu
The University of New Haven: Campus tour given by students and an overview message from President Steve Kaplan.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Alumni Relations, the Associate Director of Alumni Communications will work as part of a dynamic and collaborative Alumni Engagement team. The Associate Director is responsible for creating and managing a comprehensive array of alumni communications related to programming, engagement opportunities, benefits and volunteer initiatives, with particular emphasis on engaging alumni in the life and advancement of the University. This highly motivated, results-driven professional will assist in the promotion and management of high-level alumni engagement opportunities with a focus on increasing the depth and diversity of alumni relationships in support of the University by utilizing various social media and web-based platforms.
The Associate Director of Alumni Communications will develop strategies for creating, delivering, and managing content, both electronic and print, to drive alumni and donor engagement and strengthen alumni relationships with the University of New Haven and the Alumni Association. They will actively collaborate with others in the division to ensure that all communications to alumni and donors are managed as part of a strategic communications plan. They will create and deliver content for key social media platforms and the University’ online community. In addition, they will work to enhance the alumni benefits program, and develop long-range, measurable marketing goals for tracking the progress and success of the benefit program and social media platforms, including conducting annual benchmarking comparisons with peer institutions, and surveying alumni.
- Responsible for collaborating with Advancement and Marketing colleagues to create an annual strategy for alumni and donor communications that is consistent and thoughtful, and executing a comprehensive array of communications related to programming, volunteer opportunities, stewardship, donor retention, and benefits with particular emphasis on engaging alumni in the life and advancement of the University.
- Manage and enhance social media platforms used to engage alumni for all Advancement needs including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and SnapChat. Create and embed metrics to measure the success of each platform. Manage and expand on social media ambassadors program and social media feature series
- Develop, implement, and maintain a dynamic, clearly defined social media, and online communications strategy aligned with other University departments
- Proactively collaborate, brainstorm, and strategize with multiple teams/clients to create and design a wide range of materials that includes invitations, web pages, signage, email communication, newsletters, and marketing materials
- Update and maintain the alumni website regularly adding timely and relevant content
- Assist in the planning and implementation of all Alumni and Advancement events both on and off campus, including the design and production of event invitations, promotions, electronic invitations, emails, and post event follow-up. Develop integrated communications plans for each event and programmatic activity to align with overall divisional calendar and strategy.
- Oversee and enhance data management of the Online Community and create online registration forms for alumni and advancement events
- Manage and enhance the Alumni Benefits Program. Oversee the current benefits to fulfill the contractual obligations and maintain relationships with vendor contacts; execute effective marketing strategies to promote alumni benefits via all channels including web, social media, and print.
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, and nationally; maintain regular communication with alumni through individual contact, email blasts, alumni web pages, and print publications.
- Develop strategic partnerships and collaborative relationships to both support the alumni communications needs of the University beyond Alumni Relations, and to support Advancement initiatives.
- Serve as key staff member on the Alumni Board Marketing Committee.
- Engage daily with alumni providing superior customer service on general outreach, thank you notes, responding to inquiries, and more. Record contact in alumni database. Develop and provide reports to measure contact.
- Steward and cultivate alumni volunteers by sending correspondence and follow up on activity
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Bachelor's degree and minimum of three years professional experience; preference given to those with higher education, development, non-profit, or alumni relations experience. A strong background in marketing, online marketing, advertising, and public relations may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with design software, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.
- Proven website and social media optimization skills, including a background in HTML, Photoshop, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to successfully recruit, organize and motivate volunteers.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and attention to detail skills, with demonstrated ability to assess complex situations and facilitate solutions in a collaborative manner;
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and the ability to engage volunteers who hold diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to craft messages for various audiences
- Candidate must have strong computer skills. Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programs, as well as Raiser’s Edge and Blackbaud NetCommunity.
- Candidates must also be able to travel and work evenings and weekends when needed
University of New Haven Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Vision
The University of New Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a diverse institution which celebrates, respects, and values individuals of all social identities. We believe that as members of the university community, our socio‐cultural differences ignite intellectual growth and foster a culture of understanding that embraces our ever‐changing society.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you have the qualifications we are looking for and are interested in working for an institution where the experience of learning is both personal and pragmatic and one that is guided by a distinguished faculty who care deeply about individual student success, we want to hear from you! Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references, all of which will remain confidential, through this link: http://apply.interfolio.com/105358
If you have any issues with this submittal, please contact us at HRDept@newhaven.edu.
It is mandatory that UNH employees abide by all pre-determined Covid related policies and procedures.