Probation Officer and Probation Officer Assistant
The U.S. Probation Office, District of South Carolina, is hiring a Probation Officer (Florence Division) and a Probation Officer Assistant (Greenville Division).
The minimum requirements are a bachelor's degree and two years of specialized experience; an advanced degree is preferred. Officers are classified as hazardous duty, invoking certain mandates:
- Appointment must occur prior to the applicant's 37th birthday since retirement is mandatory upon reaching age 57.
- A medical exam and drug test is required prior to appointment.
- Random urinalyses occur during an officer's career.
- Appointment requires approval of the federal judges in our district.
- Appointments are provisional until a favorable background investigation is conducted by the Offices of Personnel Management (OPM).
- Reinvestigations by OPM occur during an officer's career at five year intervals.
- Officers are required to attend a six week training course at the Federal Probation and Pretrial Academy in Charleston, SC.
Please visit www.scp.uscourts.gov (About Us/Careers Opportunities) for more information.