Registered Nurse / RN #6000
SCDC: Unlimited Career Opportunities
The South Carolina Department of Corrections does more than manage inmates, we provide security and a rehabilitative environment for our community! SCDC is currently seeking Qualified Individuals State Wide who have a passion for providing the highest quality service in a secure and uplifting environment.
Who We Are:
South Carolina Department of Corrections is the second largest state agency with over 5,000 employees, headquartered in Columbia, SC with 21 institutions across the state. Our employees are driven by the SCDC mission that’s geared towards providing community wide Safety, Service and Stewardship. We safely protect the public, our employees, and our inmates, provide rehabilitation services and self-improvement opportunities for inmates, and promote professional excellence, fiscal responsibility, and self-sufficiency.
This posting will be filling multiple positions at one of the institutions listed below.
Limited Time Sign On Bonus!
For a limited time, SCDC is offering Registered Nurses a $10,000 sign on bonus, payable over two years.
Level I Institutions
Livesay CI, Manning CI
Ridgeland CI, Trenton CI, Turbeville CI, Tyger River CI, Wateree River CI
Level III Institutions
Broad River CI, Kirkland CI, Lee CI, Lieber CI, McCormick CI, Perry CI
Responsible to the Nurse Manager for nursing care provided in a designated correctional clinic or specialized area in compliance with medical plans, policies, and orders for patient care and treatment.
- Administer and document medication as ordered by the physician in the correctional setting.
- Conduct health screenings during sick call using approved standing orders or making appropriate MD referrals.
- Document all health care rendered on medical records..
- Assist in planning and coordination of nursing services required to meet the total health care needs of the patient.
- Transcribe all MD orders from medical records.
- Transfer medical records with appropriate documentation and medication at time of inmate transfer.
- Perform clinical treatments & procedures using universal precautions in all areas of practice.
- Maintain 40 hours of in-service education per year, including mandatory in-services and CPR certification.
- Provide emergency treatment to inmates and employees.
- Participate in employee health issues as directed, i.e., TB screening, Hepatitis B injections, flu injections, and post exposure assessment.
- Participate in chronic disease clinics.
- Collaborate with other correctional professionals to assure social, psychological and security needs of inmates are met.
Other duties as assigned.
Filling multiple positions from this posting.
Majority of the institutions operate on the following shifts:
6:00am - 7:00pm
6:00pm - 7:00am
$5.00 an hour on weekends
$1.75 an hour on nights
Minimum and Additional Requirements
State of South Carolina minimum requirements:
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and related nursing experience. (Or an acceptable equivalency as approved by the Division of State Human Resources).
SCDC minimum requirements:
Must hold an active license as a Registered Nurse.
You must attach a copy of your license with your application to be considered as a candidate for this position.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from employment. Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work history and education.