Painting TechnicianMercedes-Benz Vans
Painting Technician – Multiple Openings
From passenger cars to commercial vans, the Mercedes-Benz brand stands as one of the Daimler Group’s many success stories. The Daimler Group consists of several companies with more than 280,000 employees worldwide who put into practice the core values of Passion, Respect, Integrity and Discipline each day. We believe it is our mission and our duty to shape the future of mobility in a safe and sustainable manner - with trendsetting technologies, outstanding products and made-to-measure services.
Here in North Charleston, SC, Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC is writing an exciting chapter in Daimler’s history as we add the first U.S. van production plant for the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, in addition to our existing assembly operation for Sprinter and METRIS vans. Our slogan is “Vans. Born to Run.” and we invite engaged, innovative candidates to run the ramp up of our new facility with us!
WE HAVE MULTIPLE OPENINGS!
The Paint Department currently hiring for 3 positions:
• Paint Technician 1
• Paint Technician 2
• Paint Technician 3
The position for each candidate will be based on skills, knowledge, experience, and business needs.
The Paint Shop is responsible for ensuring corrosion protection and topcoat application to the body. The Body is cleaned, conditioned, and coated for protection. A primer coating is applied to create consistency in the surface prior to paint and topcoat is applied robotically to complete the final appearance of the body. Seams of PVC sealant and cavity wax are applied for additional rust protection.
Responsibilities may include:
• Retrieve and provide material, workpieces, tools, work documents, device parts, auxiliary materials, etc. according to the specified min/max stock. Arrange for disposal/treatment
• Prepare the workplace for manual activities ensuring that the area is clean, organized and up to 5S standards
• Prep cars and car bodies for paint process
• Mask/unmask parts and car bodies and areas to be coated
• Spray wax for cavity preservation
• Perform visual inspection for completeness and proper execution of standard and record defects into the quality reporting system
• Seal interior and exterior seams
• Spray or lay out PVC protection and sika, taking into account the required surface quality on the visible parts of the shell
• Fix minor issues with paint tools/equipment (such as through filter cleaning, changing of nozzles)
• Monitor and control coating/painting processes
o Set order sequence
o Analyze end-of-process items, and adjust the coating process accordingly
o Monitor production flow and buffer levels
o Coordinate with upstream/downstream areas
o Propose corrective measures for bottleneck situations, and coordinate with the foreman if necessary
o Accumulate manufacturing data and evaluate
• Analyze system errors, if necessary by the use of diagnostic systems. Identify vulnerabilities in advance
• Develop and implement corrective measures
• Carry out spot repairs (partial surface repair/coating)
o Adhering to painting standards, inspect, detect, classify, determine corrective measures and fix localized damage and defects outside of the normal painting process
o Act as the final coatings/paint quality point, and conduct repair work so the product will be released to the customer
• Refinish seam seals for finished painted vehicles
• Participate in the Continuous Improvement Program
Paint Technician 1 - Minimum Requirements
• High School Diploma or GED strongly preferred
• 1+ years relevant manufacturing experience or Lean Manufacturing certificate preferred
• Candidates should possess basic craftsmanship and technical understanding
• Basic hand/power tool familiarity
• Experience in automotive paint environment preferred
• Ability to stand, use hands, arms to finger, and reach for long periods of time
• Ability to push, pull, squat or bend and turn repeatedly
• Ability to occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing over 35lbs
• Ability to use close vision, color vision, and depth perception for extended periods
• Required to complete essential job functions
• Willing to complete a drug screen, background check, and pre-placement medical exam
• Willing to work overtime
Paint Technician 2 – Additional to Paint Technician 1
• Required: 2+ years of relevant manufacturing experience; OR Relevant certificate and 1+ years of relevant experience
• Preferred: 3+ years of relevant experience; OR Relevant certificate and 2+ years of relevant experience
• Experience using buffers/sanders on automotive paint preferred
Paint Technician 3 – Additional to Paint Technician 2
• Required: 4+ years relevant experience; OR Relevant certificate + 3 years relevant experience; OR Relevant associates degree + 1 year relevant experience
• Preferred: 5+ years relevant experience; OR Relevant certificate + 4 years relevant experience; OR Relevant assoc. degree + 2 years relevant experience
• Must possess intimate knowledge of paint, chemical, and coating processes
• Knowledge of automotive paint and coating systems, data processing, chemical handling, and painting equipment
• Experience controlling automated painting systems in a manufacturing setting
• ASE B2 Painting and Refinishing Certification or similar preferred
• Formal Education in Automotive Body Repair or similar preferred
We offer Competitive Compensation & Benefits!
• Medical, dental, life, and vision insurance
• Paid holidays, vacation
• Long and short-term disability
• 401(K) plus matching
• Career development
• Employee Vehicle Program
Mercedes Benz Vans can hand you the keys for an exciting career in the automotive manufacturing industry. The division of Mercedes-Benz Vans is world renown for quality and innovative products. If you are interested in joining an outstanding company, we welcome you to apply.
Mercedes-Benz Vans is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC (“MBV”) is a plant in Ladson, South Carolina that assembles Sprinter vans for the U.S. market under the brands Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner. The midsize Metris van was added to the assembly line in 2015.
Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC announced in March 2015 that it will invest $500 million in construction of a new Sprinter production plant, in addition to an expansion of existing operations. In July 2016, MBV officially broke ground on the site of its new plant, located next to existing operations in the North Charleston area. The MBV facility will provide up to 1,300 jobs by the end of the decade.
More than 112,000 Sprinters have been assembled in North Charleston and delivered to destinations in the U.S. since 2006. The U.S. is now the second largest market for Sprinter vans, after Germany.