Mechatronics TechnicianMercedes-Benz Vans
From passenger cars to commercial vans, the Mercedes-Benz brand stands as one of the Daimler Group’s many success stories. The Daimler Group consists of several companies with more than 280,000 employees worldwide who put into practice the core values of Passion, Respect, Integrity and Discipline each day. We believe it is our mission and our duty to shape the future of mobility in a safe and sustainable manner - with trendsetting technologies, outstanding products and made-to-measure services.
Here in North Charleston, SC, Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC is writing an exciting chapter in Daimler’s history as we add the first U.S. van production plant for the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, in addition to our existing assembly operation for Sprinter and METRIS vans. Our slogan is “Vans. Born to Run.” and we invite engaged, innovative job candidates to run the ramp up of our new facility with us!
The Mechatronics Technician is responsible for maintaining production equipment to ensure the daily production requirements at Mercedes-Benz Vans are met.
• Perform repair work including necessary disassembly and re-assembly of production equipment
• Perform equipment PM tasks to ensure manufacturer recommended specifications are maintained
• Maintains repair and maintenance records
• Ability to properly size circuit conductors, circuit protector devices, ability to run conduit if needed, install electrical equipment, wire and unwire equipment as needed
• Must understand how to use VOM and other testing related equipment to identify electrical problems
• Identify and analyze errors and malfunctions as they relate to the items below:
o Intermittent/inconsistent electrical and mechanical failures on production equipment
o PLC’s, 24v control circuits, 480v 3phase systems, 4-20ma circuits, VFD’s, PC controllers, and fieldbus technology/control technology
o Complex mechanical components such as pumps, motors, bearings, etc.
• Execute modernizations, extensions, and modifications according to specifications and/or sketches of electrical drawings. If necessary, adjust PLC programming and utilize PLC to troubleshoot issues. Independently construct or design equipment with use of PLC, BUS-Systems, Network Technology, Mechanical Components, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Systems and Cooling/Lubrication Systems
• Perform daily equipment checks
• Optimize resources and installations (idea generation and planning)
o Changing processes
o Changing process parameters
o Changing hardware
o Modification of software (PLC, PC, etc.)
o Perform cycle time analysis and optimize as needed
• Interact with and support associates within assigned production areas
• Procurement of operative materials, equipment, and service providers
• Travel and/or overtime may be required
• All other duties as required to support business needs
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Required: 4+ years relevant experience; OR Relevant certificate + 3 years relevant experience; OR Relevant associates degree + 1 year relevant experience
• Preferred: 5+ years relevant experience; OR Relevant certificate + 4 years relevant experience; OR Relevant assoc. degree + 2 years relevant experience
• Indirectly relevant experience: experience working with automation equipment, mechanical repairs, working toward a related degree or certification
• Knowledge of industrial AC/DC electricity [24V – 480V], mechanical, hydraulics, and/or pneumatics required
• Experience changing out bearing and motors preferred
• Basic computer skills required (i.e. Microsoft Office, email)
• PLC/BUS system education and/or experience strongly preferred
• Robotics (Kuka, Durr) experience strongly preferred
• Oven and paint booth supply air maintenance experience preferred (i.e. Maxon Gas Train)
• Pumping system maintenance experience preferred
• Conveyor system maintenance experience preferred
• Strong communications skills (listening, speaking, writing)
Mercedes-Benz Vans is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and are not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Company reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.
Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC (“MBV”) is a plant in Ladson, South Carolina that assembles Sprinter vans for the U.S. market under the brands Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner. The midsize Metris van was added to the assembly line in 2015.
Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC announced in March 2015 that it will invest $500 million in construction of a new Sprinter production plant, in addition to an expansion of existing operations. In July 2016, MBV officially broke ground on the site of its new plant, located next to existing operations in the North Charleston area. The MBV facility will provide up to 1,300 jobs by the end of the decade.
More than 112,000 Sprinters have been assembled in North Charleston and delivered to destinations in the U.S. since 2006. The U.S. is now the second largest market for Sprinter vans, after Germany.