Projects Reporter (2949)
This reporter will be responsible for deeply reported, groundbreaking accountability journalism for readers in local communities and/or across the state. The work should fulfill McClatchy’s mission as a defender of the values of the First Amendment and as an organization that holds leaders and institutions accountable and makes our communities better.
The reporter must have the highest journalism ethics and sound judgment; extraordinary reporting and storytelling skills; the ability to collaborate with other reporters, and a deep understanding of the modern, digital news ecosystem as well as how to produce journalism that has an impact in it.
Key skills include the ability to find and tell exclusive, compelling stories that will have the greatest impact on our communities, to use data and documents to hold governments and institutions accountable, and to understand how to use a broad range of media in storytelling.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including an understanding of how to use analytics such as page views, time on site, referral sources and “shares and likes” to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences
- A demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software; Omniture, CrowdTangle and other analytics tools; and any emerging storytelling tools and platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The new workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).