Local law firm looking for Legal Secretary. Must have Medical-malpractice/Insurance defense experience. Starting pay based upon experience.
Provide prompt and efficient administrative/clerical support to attorneys by working on assigned projects performing a variety of tasks including but not limited to, open case files, prepare and file litigation documents with appropriate jurisdictional agents, transcribe daily dictation, process client billing, organization/maintenance of files, close client files, conflict resolution; and other general secretarial duties such as typing, filing, copying and scanning.
1. Open newly assigned client files. Enter critical information into software database. Create file information sheet, generate necessary labels, create directories, initiate pleading index and generate individual file folder. Run necessary conflict search by following established procedure to ensure appropriate client representation.
2. Prepare/type legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, appeals, discovery, motions, etc., for review by attorney. Transcribe daily diction which includes letters, general correspondence, memorandums, summaries and other legal forms/documents.
3. Perform billing functions to include: generate a prebill/proforma, process billing revisions upon attorney request, enter cost/disbursement information, upload electronic bills including correction of rejections, finalize & mail processed bills. When needed, include necessary back-up to bills as requested by clients.
4. Organize/maintain litigation files by updating pleading indexes, file case-related documents, scan all necessary documents, i.e., pleadings, depositions, medical records, etc. to computer directories including e-mailing necessary information to team members for further disposition.
5. Close client files by ensuring all necessary information is on record and in the file. Obtain a transfer file number, package file according to procedure, and prepare for off-site storage.
6. Prepare/process pound expense vouchers related to client files including attorney expenses associated to client file, prepare attorney expense reports for submission to Bookkeeping, process necessary check requests for various expenses.
1. Assist other attorneys/paralegals/secretaries regarding workloads. Assist in the daily rotation of providing coverage for the switchboard/receptionist.
2. Schedule conference rooms, court reporters, hearing dates, depositions and general contact with third party entities.
3. Assist in preparation of trial activities, i.e., prepare trial notebooks, expert witness information, and general assistance to paralegal(s).
1. 3-4 Years previous law firm experience – preferably in Medical Malpractice/Insurance Defense area.
2. 2-3 Years of general clerical experience involving typing, transcription/dictation, filing, scanning, and usage of general office equipment.
3. Ability to work effectively and professionally with attorneys to ensure work assignments are completed efficiently and correctly minimizing errors/mistakes.
4. Possess working knowledge of computers and various software applications.
5. Possess excellent written and oral communication skills; including problem-solving skills and exceptional interpersonal skills.