Master Teacher - Project
Master Teacher - Project
Bargaining Unit: Local 1 - Family and Children's Services Unit
The Contra Costa County Community Services Bureau has immediate openings for qualified classroom staff to fill vacancies in full-day child education centers serving approximately 2500 low-income children and their families. Incumbents may be required to travel to child education centers countywide in the performance of assigned job duties.
Under the supervision of a Site Supervisor, the Master Teacher functions as a specialist level teacher in overseeing the integration and coordination of education, curriculum, child assessment, staff development and parent involvement activities at child education centers serving preschool children 2.5-6 years of age.
- Plans, facilitates and oversees classroom activities according to developmentally appropriate practice and following the instructional approach utilized by the department
- Conducts daily classroom activities
- Prepares appropriate lesson plans with required individualization
- Conducts screenings and assessments of children within mandated time frames, and uses the results to individualize educational delivery
- Coordinates curriculum, instructional approach and staff development activities
- Explains the program curriculum and instructional approach to staff, parents, the community, and Federal, State and local government agencies
- Directs, trains, mentors, and evaluates paid and volunteer staff assigned to child education centers, including teachers and associate teachers
- Plans and conducts meetings with staff and parents, including the required number of home visits per year
- Travels to child education centers county-wide to assist in the development of the curriculum plan and classroom set-up that is conducive to the instructional approach
- Maintains program records and prepares reports in a clear and concise manner, meeting all requirements and timelines
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator's license will be accepted during the application process.
Permit Required: Possession of a valid Master Teacher Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing or a Contra Costa County Master Teacher Temporary County Certificate.
Education: Possession of an Associates of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE) from an accredited college or university; or possession of an Associates of Arts degree from an accredited college or university with twenty-four (24) Early Childhood Education/Child Developments (ECE/CD) units including the core courses of Child Development, Child, Family and Community and Programs and Curriculum; sixteen (16) general education units which included one course from each of the following: humanities and/or fine arts, social sciences, math and/or science, and English and/or language arts; six (6) specialization units; and two (2) adult supervision units;
possession of a Bachelors degree or higher degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Early Childhood Education (ECE), Child Development (CD), or a closely related field
Baccalaureate degree in any subject and coursework equivalent to a major relating to Early Childhood Education with experience teaching preschool-age children. Course work must have included completion of twelve (12) ECE units plus three (3) units of supervised field experience in ECE setting.
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time experience or its equivalent as a preschool teacher, one (1) year of which must have included supervising the activities of other staff assisting in the classroom.
Special Requirements: Ability to meet standards as may be required by the Federal Head Start Performance Standards, California Department of Education Title V, and California Department of Social Services Title XXII regulations dealing with pre-school and child development programs.