Under supervision, performs general duty police work to enforce the laws and ordinances of the City of Forest Acres. Work, once certified, includes the patrolling of the city, enforcement of laws, conducting investigations and assisting citizens.
• Operates police vehicle to patrol city. While on duty this individual will report suspicious situations; enforce all Federal, State, traffic laws, and municipal laws and codes; conduct inspections of commercial and private property; report and record broken traffic signals, street lights, traffic signs, street name signs, natural gas leaks, water leaks, defective streets or sidewalks, etc.
• Investigate crimes such as burglaries, rapes, vice, missing persons, fires, and homicides which involves acquiring all possible information on crime, visiting crime scenes, conducting raids and searches, interviewing and interrogating suspects and witnesses, collecting and preserving evidence, and disseminating information to all shift personnel
• Provides assistance to the general public to include providing security at public functions, checking commercial and private property, responding to alarms, etc.
• Compiles, prepares, and processes administrative reports including incident reports, laboratory reports, medical reports, forensics reports, statistical reports, case records, inspection reports, and general office correspondence
• Works under stressful, high-risk conditions and with life threatening situations
• Receives and/or reviews various records and reports such as criminal history reports, State codes and City ordinances updates
• Prepares and/or processes various records and reports such as incident reports, uniform traffic tickets, collision
reports, arrest warrants, and court presentations
• Refers to South Carolina criminal law and motor vehicle handbook, City codes book, departmental policy handbook, training, experience, policy and procedure manuals, computer manuals, regulations, publications and reference texts, etc.
• Operates a police vehicle and a variety of equipment such as radar, radio, mobile vision camera system, siren and light bar, etc.
• Uses a variety of tools such as weapons, bulletproof vest, taser, handcuffs, AED, etc.
• Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the Sergeant, department employees, business property owners, State agencies, Federal agencies, and the general public.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• High School Diploma
• SC Criminal Justice Academy Certification (Patrol Officer II) or ability to obtain within one year of employment
(Patrol Officer I)
• Must have successfully completed required courses and certification; may be required to possess additional
certification(s) as deemed necessary by the City
• Must possess a valid South Carolina driver's license
Beneficial Skills and Experience:
• Associates degree or higher
We offer excellent benefits:
- Health & Dental Insurance (State Plan)
- Vacation: 8 hrs per month / Sick Leave: 8 hrs per month
- 12 City-observed Holidays
- Life Insurance and Basic Long-Term Disability coverage
- Participation in SC PEBA Police Officers Retirement System
- Free Membership at MUV Fitness
- Plus optional: vision, supplemental life insurance, and supplemental long-term disability coverage; dependent coverage; and deferred compensation (all at employee’s expense)